By Anita Shreve
At an lodge within the Berkshire Mountains, seven former schoolmates assemble to rejoice a wedding--a reunion that turns into the party of surprising revelations because the buddies jointly keep in mind a long-ago evening that indelibly marked each one in their lives. Written with the fluent narrative artistry that distinguishes all of Anita Shreve's bestselling novels, a marriage in December acutely probes the mysteries of the human center and the never-ending attract of paths now not taken.
Read or Download A Wedding in December: A Novel PDF
Similar literature books
May well one of many maximum musicians of all time reside his existence in a peasant village and not be chanced on by way of the realm? Set opposed to the paranormal and weird backdrop of a distant Alpine village within the early 19th century, this extraordinary novel tells the tale of Elias Johannes Alder, a musical genius with supernatural listening to who develops his expertise in mystery middle of the night periods on the church organ.
Deserted via her companion in Scotland, the place she has been residing for twenty-five years, Mercia returns to her place of birth of South Africa to discover her relations beaten by means of alcoholism and secrets and techniques. Poised among her existence in Scotland and her lifestyles in South Africa, she recalls the prior with a willing feel of irony as she searches for a few notion of domestic.
For her acclaimed number of tales, pink Ant condominium, Joyce Carol Oates hailed Ann Cummins as “a grasp storyteller. " The San Francisco Chronicle known as her “startlingly unique. " Now, in her debut novel, Cummins stakes declare to wealthy new literary territory with a narrative of straddling cultures and dishonest destiny within the American Southwest.
The long-awaited prequel to the number 1 long island instances bestselling memoir Rocket Boys—the foundation for the motion picture October Sky
Elsie Lavender and Homer Hickam Sr. —the destiny mom and dad of Homer Hickam Jr. —were highschool classmates within the West Virginia coalfields, graduating simply because the nice melancholy started. while Homer requested for her hand, Elsie in its place headed to Orlando the place she sparked with a dancing actor named blood brother Ebsen (yes, that blood brother Ebsen). but if blood brother headed for brand new York, Elsie's goals of a lifestyles with him have been overwhelmed and finally she discovered herself again within the coalfields, married to Homer.
Unfulfilled as a miner's spouse, Elsie was once reminded of her carefree days in Florida on a daily basis as a result of Buddy's strange marriage ceremony present: an alligator named Albert who lived within the basically toilet of their little condo. ultimately Homer gave Elsie an ultimatum: "Me or the alligator! " After giving it a few proposal, Elsie concluded there has been just one factor to do—carry Albert home.
Carrying Albert domestic tells the candy, humorous, and occasionally heartbreaking story of a tender couple and their distinctive puppy on a loopy 1,000-mile trip. instructed with the heat and down-home allure that made Rocket Boys a liked bestseller, Homer Hickam's rollicking novel is really a testomony to that unusual and exceptional emotion we name love.
- The Middlesteins: A Novel
- Joint Ventures: Authorship, Translation, Plagiarism
- The Sport of the Gods: and Other Essential Writings
Extra resources for A Wedding in December: A Novel
1. A town on the Hungarian side of Neusiedler Lake. It is known in Czech literature primarily for its brewery. Jaroslav Hasek mentions it in The Good Soldier Svejk (“The Hungarian breweries in Sopron and in Gross-Kanisza bought from my firm for their export beer, which they exported as far as Alexandria, an average of a thousand sacks of hops a year” [London: Penguin Books, 1974, p. 188]), as does Bohumil Hrabal in Dancing Lessonsfor the Advanced in Age (“so I switched from shoemaking to brew ing and trained as a maltster and set off on a tour of Hun gary, oh what a brewery they have in Sopron!
I found them strange, not to say repellent. The third was Sexual Hygiene for Married Couples, which my parents had acquired shortly after they were married. 3 Much later, in a song I heard from a drunken rookie by the name of Frantik Chmelik,4 I learned another taboo word for the female genitalia. The song went like this: “I’ve got a girl in Louny; I share her with my crony. 51 learned another word from a school mate named Milik Kocek,6who later became a police officer. ” I have never run across it since.
3. His abnormality made itself felt chiefly in bicycle rides through the countryside, when he talked or sang to himself. He had absolutely no interest in things sexual or erotic and remained a bachelor. He was good-natured and liked to give children rides on his bicycle. 4. After the death of Vaclav Antos, former Czech Le gionnaire in Italy and card shark. ) But Kozel had had earlier expe rience with the post: until 1927 my father s predecessor was a farmer by the name of Jires, and Kozel served as his deputy.