A spouse to ladies within the historic global offers an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based number of newly-commissioned essays from renowned students at the research of girls within the historic world.
• the 1st interdisciplinary, methodologically-based choice of readings to handle the examine of ladies within the old global
• Explores a extensive diversity of issues when it comes to girls in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess conception; ladies in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; ladies and the family members, the country, and faith; costume and Adornment; girl Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial girls; girls in past due Antiquity; Early girls Saints; and lots of extra
• Thematically prepared to stress the significance of old subject matters of continuity, improvement, and innovation
• Reconsiders a lot of the well known facts and preconceived notions in relation to girls in antiquity contains contributions from a few of the such a lot well known students linked to the research of ladies in antiquity
Selected via selection as a 2013 awesome educational Title
Awarded a 2013 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
Read Online or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World, Volume 165) PDF
Similar women books
Via picking articulate, fun, impassioned, and introspective authors who've portrayed characters throughout race traces, Jordan specializes in commonalities, in addition to very important variations, during this inventive method. an extraordinary chance to learn the personal ideas approximately race and creativity of Joyce Carol Oates, Belva simple, Grace Paley, Sherley Anne Williams, and others.
While Hillary was once younger, she desired to be an astronaut, to jump as excessive because the stars above. She stored attaining up and up as she grew. there have been those that informed her no. yet she did not hearken to them. there have been those that did not imagine she may do it. yet she believed in herself. And Hillary has been making heritage ever for the reason that.
This number of essays seems on the effect on girls of the political alterations that have taken position in East-Central Europe because the Thirties. it really is strange in combining a robust modern concentration with re-evaluations of what the socialist event has intended for ladies. It brings jointly experts from either East and the West to provide insights into women's lives and responses to alter in nations that have a shared legacy of kingdom socialism but are as culturally varied as Russia and Germany, Poland and Estonia.
Australian girls in advertisements within the 20th Century captures the tales of girls operating within the international ads undefined, exploring the $64000 contributions ladies made to the and the position of the in shaping the 'modern' lady.
- Boys’ Love and Female Friendships: The Subculture of Yaoi As a Social Bond Between Women
- The Long Sexual Revolution: English Women, Sex, and Contraception 1800-1975
- Women Who Did: Stories by Men and Women, 1890-1914
- Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books
- Pioneers and Caretakers: A Study of 9 American Women Novelists
- Yes She Did!: News & Media
Extra info for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World, Volume 165)
Just about this time, the Quincy boot and shoe industry was beginning its decline, and Charles probably acquired his position only because the factory was owned by Lizzie’s relatives. Hired as a boot cutter, Charles’s annual wages must have been about six hundred dollars; since the Folletts had only one child, Charles’s wages surely covered their basic expenses, but the ‘‘numerous other little things’’ were easier to secure with the supplementary income from the boarders. In return, the family had to endure a loss of privacy and, after the birth of Mary’s brother, George Dexter, late in 1877, cramped living conditions.
The most terrible indigestion was the result. ’’ Thompson was one of numerous middle-class, native-born men and women who were ‘‘anxious, harried, often unwell, and . . ∑ Today the most widely known form of mental healing is undoubtedly Christian Science, but in the last decades of the nineteenth century, the Christian Science church had considerable competition. The Boston Post reported ‘‘at least four schools of mental healing in Boston’’ in 1885, and the next few years saw the establishment of several more.
On the surface, Mary may have seemed to suffer her fate willingly, but underneath she was considerably less sanguine. ’ ’’ Founded in 1873, ﬁve years before the more famous Chautauqua Literary and Scientiﬁc Circles, the society was the idea of Anna Eliot Ticknor, George Ticknor’s privileged daughter. Ticknor had learned of the existence of an English Society for the Encouragement of Home Study, in which well-educated ladies offered other women of their class a means of continuing their studies without exposing themselves to the ‘‘dangers’’ inherent in collegiate education.